Lebanese President Michel Aoun stressed on Friday that investigation into Tuesday’s massive blasts at Beirut Port won’t spare any official, as he firmly refused the internationalization of the Lebanese crisis.
“I won’t abandon my responsibility to disclose and call to account all those responsible for Beirut Port blasts,” President Aoun told reporters at Baabda Palace on Friday.
The probe into Beirut Port blasts has just started, and no one will be covered or protected, the president stressed.
“I will not accept a delayed just, we have five days to look into the causes of the blasts. And all those who are convicted will be held accountable. The probe will spare no one.”
Meanwhile, Aoun noted that some local powers are politicizing the blasts in a bid to serve their political interests.
On attempts to internationalize the Lebanese crisis through calls to hold an international committee to investigate the blasts, the Lebanese president firmly refused such calls.
“I f we don’t handle our issue then we not deserve to live in this country. Lebanese sovereignty won’t be violated in my term!”
Beirut was ravaged by the huge blasts which rocked its port, killing at least 154 people and injuring more than 5,000 others. Dozens have been also still missing.
Lebanese authorities had announced their own inquiry into Tuesday’s explosions and a military prosecutor on Thursday said 16 people had been detained.
They included the port’s general manager, Hassan Koraytem, a judicial source said.
The central bank also ordered an asset freeze for seven port and customs officials, an official and a banking source told AFP.